Ambulatory 48 Hour pH Test
Patient Procedure Instructions
To record the amount of severity of reflux into the esophagus.
Preparation for the Study
Ten Days Prior to the Study
Unless otherwise directed by the doctor, stop taking the following medications:
The Day of the Study
- If your procedure is in the morning do not eat or dink anything after midnight the night prior to your procedure:
- If your procedure is in the afternoon, you may have clear liquids up to 8am (coffee, tea, soda, water, clear juices, clear broth, popsicles and jello).
- Be prepared to be at the center for one hour. Typically this procedure is done in conjuction with an Endoscopy, so you will need to have a ride home.
- The pH study will last for 48 hours.
- Do not take antacids the day of the study without your doctors approval (Tums, Rolaids, Mylanta, Maalox). If you do not take an antacid be sure to document it on your diary.
48 Hours Later
You will need to return to the Atherton Endoscopy Center 48 hours later to drop off your receiver.